Thursday, November 8, 2012

Big Question

Many months ago, we were learning about brains in anatomy class, and we were asked to hypothesize about what function, chemical, etc., in the brain distinguishes our imagination from reality (i.e., we know the difference between imagining that we are walking down the street and actually walking down the street). Though I put my little theory down on paper, I'm still not satisfied and I've been thinking about it ever since that assignment. So...

My Big Question is: How do we tell the difference between imagination and reality?

One must take into consideration not only the average brain but also those with schizophrenia or those that experience hallucinations or any other issue that makes it so they cannot distinguish between reality and imagination. It's not as simple as it might sound at first...It would be nice to see some theories and even better to see an answer...though I'm not sure there is one. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment