Monday, January 28, 2013

Dickens Map

1. I chose to read Great Expectations this time around, seeing as I wasn't having much luck getting through A Tale of Two Cities last semester. Unfortunately, this makes things a little tougher because of instead of reviewing a book I read a month or two ago, I have to finish a whole new novel by Monday. So...my reading schedule for GE will be pretty basic: get through as many pages I can a day. If I want to finish by Sunday night, I'd have to read around sixty pages a day...sounds ridiculously unrealistic to me, but I'll keep reading a see how close I can get.
2. 1) Evaluate Dickens’s portrayal of Pip. In your opinion, is Pip a believable character? Does he behave in ways that a real child in similar circumstances might behave? Support your opinion with evidence from the novel.
2) What conflicting feelings does Pip have as he moves toward a new life? Why does he have such mixed feelings?
3) As his visit with Pip is ending, Joe says, “Pip, dear old chap, life is made of ever so many partings welded together . . . Diwisions among such must come, and must be met as they come.” What does he mean in terms of his and Pip’s relationship? In your opinion, whose behavior during the visit was more admirable, Joe’s or Pip’s? Explain.
4) What one financial request does Pip make of Miss Havisham? What does this request indicate about his character?
5) Describe Miss Havisham’s behavior when Pip visits her. How has their relationship changed?
(http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/pdf/great_expectations.pdf)

3. As for demonstrating my knowledge of this book, perhaps I could just do a remix of the main ideas of the book and answer a few questions...I'm also thinking about choosing a song that relates to the book's ideas, theme, or characters (or choose songs that describe the characters). It reminds me of last year, when Mrs Nylander had us write a short essay relating a song to Catcher in the Rye. (I actually had some fun with that one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment