Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hero's Journey Deconstruction: "Finding Nemo"

Before I begin, I want to say that I hope nobody accuses me of being childish or uncreative with my choice of "Finding Nemo" for my heroic tale. I honestly doubt that someone would say that, but it just makes me feel better to diffuse any such thoughts before I drive myself crazy thinking that everyone is judging me. I chose this tale because it was one of the first few ideas that popped into my mind, and it seemed like the simplest idea. Now, don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed plenty of classic epics and stories, but I'm not about to go back and try to refresh my memory of The Odyssey or another story. This assignment is not that big; I'm not here to try to impress anyone. Anyway, enough with the rambling; I went ahead and looked up the stages of a hero's journey so I could be specific (you're all welcome for not making a bad "pacific/specific" pun there).

The story begins with the very beginning; explaining how Nemo and his father Marlin came to be each others' only family.
It then moves on to the future; Nemo goes to school and wants to prove that he is brave by swimming to the boat (the beginning is known as normal life; it is pretty self-explanatory). This is a bad idea: he gets captured and taken aboard the boat.
The journey is set in motion when Marlin heeds the call to adventure; he sets off to find his son, as terrified as he is (the reluctance stage, or refusal of the call).
Marlin soon runs into Dory, everyone's favorite character. She acts as Marlin's mentor.
The threshold is actually crossed when Dory and Marlin set out.
Friends are made along the way, namely Crush the turtle (helps take the fish through the current towards Sydney) and a pelican (he takes Marlin to the dentist's office where Nemo is). Enemies are also met: the band of sharks that started out as "friends."
The hero, Marlin, also faces the tests that are key to a hero's journey, such as the whale that swallows the fish. The hero, of course, learns something from facing these tests: Marlin learns he has to "let go."
The approach: the internet, being the excellent resource it is, helped me remember Marlin's main setback. At one point Marlin assumes Nemo to be dead and gives up, but Dory, the mentor, boosts his moral again by actually finding Nemo. (Hey, look, the title!)
The hero faces an ordeal that causes him to face death: Marlin nearly died after his encounter with the jellyfish while trying to go back and rescue Dory.
Marlin receives his reward when he is finally reunited with his son.
Marlin must face the road back as the group begins their journey back home; the hero is tested to see if he learned his lesson when Dory is trapped in a net and Nemo wants to save her using his new ideas on teamwork and bravery.
Marlin now faces resurrection; he thinks Nemo is dead, and realizes the mistakes he had made in sheltering his son and not having confidence in him. This is where the hero can apply his new-found wisdom.
Finally, the last stage is Marlin returning with the "elixir." The fish return to their normal lives and the hero can apply what he learned to real life.


**Also, if I could add just one more thing, seeing as this is my blog, I'd like to add that this shouldn't influence anyone to go spend their money on that 3D re-release of "Finding Nemo." Sure, everyone and their mothers were enchanted by it, but come on. I know everyone either owns the DVD or has Netflix. Or both. Watch it at home with your friends. These re-release deals are just Hollywood-the industry-the MAN-figuring out that people will not only pay to see sequels, spinoffs, and updates of popular movies, but we will literally pay to see the same movie twice (not including the time[s] we've rented it, bought it, or even those people that saw it twice once it was originally released). Do you want to be under The Man's thumb? That is all.**

2 comments:

  1. I like that you picked Finding Nemo. :) Le gasp! Your first comment!

    As for that last paragraph: "Word."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. It's a bit more detailed. See the 2000+ stage version of hero's journey over at http://www.clickok.co.uk/index4.html

    ReplyDelete